Scientist - Technology
Morson are currently recruiting for a Scientist in the technology sector for a long term contract based in 50% Hemel Hempstead and the rest remote.
Be a member of the Technology project team for the duration of the assigned project’s activities, providing scientific expertise and support by performing activities including:
• Technology and product development and support for current and future chemical detection products,
• Instrument and experimental design,
• Planning and execution of experiments,
• Conduct experimental campaigns at third partys facilities and laboratories (in the UK),
• Analysis of data,
• Formulation and presentation of conclusions,
• Report writing.
• Must meet requirements for security vetting (SC as a minimum).
• 5 Eyes status highly desirable.
• Support scientific aspects of R&D and product development, including prolonged campaigns at third-party facilities.
• Provide scientific input to the design, build and testing of experimental equipment.
• Plan and conduct targeted experimental testing.
• Critically appraise experimental data and theory and provide recommendations based on interpretation of data.
• Identify gaps and propose additional work.
• Contribute to project review activities.
• Follow instructions and work as part of a team.
• Work in accordance with local company policies and procedures.
• Provide hands-on support and up-to-date technical advice to Technical Authorities and Project Managers.
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• PhD in Chemistry or Physics highly desirable. Documented hands-on laboratory experience essential.
• Experience with operating analytical instrumentation. Experience with ion mobility spectrometry is desirable but not essential.
• Demonstration of experimental and data analysis skills.
• Excellent communication skills ability to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels.
• Must be a motivated and self-starting individual capable of driving themselves to succeed in the project goals as part of a multi-disciplinary project team.
• Able to successfully carry out tasks and assignments with high level guidance.
• Basic knowledge of other related disciplines.
• Provides solutions to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
• Ready to undertake experiments in collaboration with other Scientists and
Technicians, following tight timetables.
• Ready to work on site (Hemel Hempstead) or at third party facilities (UK or Europe).
Planning and Decision Making:
• Delivers required work from instructions and agreed plans.
• Able to work independently day-to-day, makes recommendations based on results and recognises when to review or escalate.
• Well-organised and adaptable, able to prioritise tasks and work effectively as part of a team.
• Follows established procedures, makes suggestions on how to develop solutions.
Impact and Scope:
• Interprets and applies company policy and procedures.
• Interfaces with Smiths Detection Technology and Production departments.
• Applies skill and judgement to get results, meet goals and ensure on-time and on-budget execution of project tasks.
• Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
• Contributes to completion of milestones associated with the projects.
Key Internal and External Relationships:
• Work in close collaboration with the scientific community within Smiths Detection and its sub-contractors and with engineering functions as required.
• Liaise with Technical and Functional Leads, Project Managers and Technical Manager.
• Communicates effectively with project leadership to ensure progress of work.
• Internal company contacts and outside sub-contractor and collaborator contacts on routine matters.
Please send CVs to (url removed)